When filing a personal injury claim, be sure to follow the proper steps to improve chances of a fair settlement. When you’ve been injured, it’s often difficult to gather your thoughts and plan a strategy for recovering your losses, but a personal injury attorney in McHenry County can ensure that all necessary steps in a personal injury lawsuit are followed and can help negotiate a settlement with the insurance company.
Five Steps in a Personal Injury Lawsuit
- Once you’re hurt, your first step should be seeking medical attention; this is important even if you don’t think you are seriously injured. Some injuries don’t present strong symptoms immediately, but if not caught early can lead to problems in the long run. Seeing a doctor is not only good for your health, it can also provide you with vital documentation and evidence you will need for filing your personal injury claim.
- Preserving evidence is an important step in a personal injury lawsuit. Depending on the type of case, there may be plenty of physical evidence to support your side, so make sure this evidence is protected for later use. For example, in a car accident, the vehicle itself, a police report, and photos of the scene and any road obstructions that contributed to the crash are important evidence.
- Depending on the type of accident, you may have to deal with insurance companies – both your own and that of the person you’re considering filing a claim against. If insurance companies contact you at the scene or shortly thereafter, be cautious about what you say and do. You can give basic information, but don’t admit to any wrongdoing and don’t sign anything until you have the chance to speak with a personal injury attorney in McHenry County.
- Seeking an experienced, competent attorney is an important part of filing a personal injury claim. Contact your local bar association, speak with trusted friends, and most important, speak with the attorney so you can ask questions and judge your comfort level with the prospective lawyer.
- Once the case is underway, do what you can to help the process go more smoothly. Keep organized records of any paperwork you receive, be cooperative with your lawyer and the legal system, and avoid anything that can ruin your case, like ill-advised social media posts.
Consult a Personal Injury Attorney in McHenry County
If you have any questions regarding the steps in a personal injury lawsuit, or you would like to have your case professionally evaluated, speak with a personal injury attorney in McHenry County at Franks & Rechenberg. Call us at 847-854-7700 to set up a consultation to discuss filing a personal injury claim.